Holiday Project

For the illustration skills holiday project, we had to create a short humorous Christmas comic.

I began by researching comic artists such as Charles M Schulz, and noted the way that their comics work, in terms of media, format, timings, and tone.

My initial ideas were based on two main concepts - (a) my personal experience of Christmas, both this year and things that are semi-traditional in my house - and (b) the effect 2020 would have on Santa Claus.

I then developed four of these ideas into drafts, two of which are pictured below. 

My final comic was based on the idea that due to Covid restrictions, Santa had to use less reindeer to pull the sleigh, thus would go slower and so would take longer to complete his delivery.

There was an additional task of keeping a visual reportage diary over Christmas. Mine was made up of quick pen sketches with added watercolour. I recorded conversations, traditions, thoughts, and activities.


Comments