Screenprinting & Procreate GIFs

Yesterday, my group got to screenprint our designs that we created in the last studio session. 

To begin with, the printing screen and my printed-out designs were both prepared for printing - the screen by adding a solution, the designs by adding cooking oil to make them translucent. After the screen has dried, the design is 'photocopied' onto it with an ultraviolet scanner, then washed at high pressure. Then the printing process can begin. The ink is rolled on to the screen onto printing paper a layer at a time, leaving the design.

I felt that my final screenprint turned out really well, and the colours I chose complimented each other nicely. A major advantage of screenprinting is that there is an unlimited range of colours you can print with, compared with a risograph, as the 'ink' is acrylic paint mixed with a printing solution. The printing process is more physical, however, which could be a problem with large print runs, although I enjoyed it with the small print run I tried.

In the afternoon, we created simple GIFs using Procreate. The workshop acted as an introduction to the software for some, but as it is my default way of creating illustrations, I was already fairly experienced. I created a simple looping GIF with a focus on symmetry.

Comments