Collagraphs, Chine-collé & Designing a Screenprint

This Thursday was the first in-person session since November. It was so nice to be back in the studio again and see everyone in person :)

The morning was spent creating collagraphs, where printing ink is applied to paperboard that has been carved into, then run under a printing press onto wetted paper.

I started off by carving abstract shapes into the card, and it soon became a scene. I later added elements of chine-collé by adding thin hand-made paper to the clouds in the final design.

(pictures coming soon)

In the afternoon, we used the mark-making from January to create a design that will be screen-printed soon.

I kept the focus of my design on the marks, and experimented with layering them to create textured patterns. The end result with the colours I chose unintentionally resembled a certain virus. I look forward to seeing the screen-printed end result.

Comments