Paper Lithography & Creating Patterns with Photoshop

As it is Halloween soon, my work that was produced in the workshops yesterday has a spooky theme.

The morning workshop focused on paper lithography, aka gum arabic print.

To create one, you take a photocopied image and apply gum arabic solution underneath and on top of it. Afterwards, ink is added, with more gum arabic applied to wipe away any excess in the background, then a printing press is used to create a print with it.

This has been my favourite print workshop so far as it allows for easy and effective design transfer. It is easy for these prints to go wrong, and you can see the crease marks in the background of my print, but I feel that these imperfections only add to it.

The afternoon workshop was Photoshop-centred again, this time used to create patterns instead of drawings. First, I had to traditionally create a pattern inspired by Halloween. I used marker pens to do this.

Then the image is scanned into photoshop, where I had to clean image to remove any unwanted marks, and to increase the black/white contrast. The image is then split into four, and the pieces turned 180 degrees to make it more pattern-like, and then are multiplied.

I enjoyed the process, and would like to create more patterns in the future.

Comments